- 100 g Parmesan cheese, cut into pieces (3 cm)
- 1 brown onion (approx. 200 g), cut into quarters
- 80 g butter, cut into pieces
- 500 g liquid beef stock or 1 tbsp beef stock paste, with 500 g water
- 250 g white quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 180 g fresh mushrooms of choice, cut into slices
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 250 g pouring (whipping) cream
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, leaves only, roughly torn
Place Parmesan into mixing bowl and grate 10 sec/speed 9. Transfer into a bowl and set aside. Thoroughly clean and dry mixing bowl.
Place onion into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides.
Add butter and sauté 3 min/Varoma/speed 1.
Add water, stock paste and quinoa and cook 15 min/Varoma//speed 1.
Add mushrooms, pepper and thyme and cook 2 min/100°C//speed 2.
Add cream and reserved Parmesan into mixing bowl and mix 7 sec//speed 2.
To serve, season to taste, then transfer to a large serving dish or bowl, or onto individual plates, and sprinkle with torn basil leaves.
It would be hard to overestimate the importance of quinoa in Ecuador. In ancient times this seed was considered sacred, holy and able to provide the ancient Incan warriors with super-human strength. To honour this, every year a festival marking the first harvest was held with a solid gold tool used to harvest the first crop. The invading Spanish Conquistadors, seeing the seed’s importance to the ancient Incans, then proclaimed its cultivation forbidden and punishable by death! Today however, quinoa has reclaimed its role as a main component of the Ecuadorian diet and the agricultural industry. A super food known the world over, this gluten free seed continues to grow in popularity and appear in many modern cuisines. This decadent and creamy “quinotto” replaces rice with quinoa.
Recipe by Maria (Mayfe) Fernanda Loayza Hidalgo, President of Thermomix Ecuador, Peru and Panama.
Other users also liked...
- Veg Thai Green Curry Recipe
- Corn and Zucchini Fritters with Chives (Gluten Free)
- Veg biryani
- Quick carrot dhal
- Sweet Potato and Quinoa Patties
- Polenta gnocchi in creamy pumpkin sauce
- Baked Falafel Bites
- Savory lentil mince with Rice and Tofu
- Freeken Good Freekeh Salad!
- Braised Bamboo Shoots
- Pumpkin Falafels
- Vegan Tofu Ricotta Lasagna Roll Ups
- Spiced pear jam and chorizo
- Barbecued pork ribs
- Satay noodle salad
- Taco seasoning
- Chocolate fondant cake
- Cheat's sourdough
- Spicy beef noodle soup (TM6 only)- Chef Mark Southon
- Sous vide fillet of beef with mushroom custard (TM6 only) - Chef Mark Southon
- Mashed potatoes
- Chiang mai noodles
- Spiced chocolate doughnuts - Louise Keats
- Steamed Sea bass in galangal, lemongrass & turmeric, wrapped in banana leaf & served with green mango salad - Chef Luke Nguyen