- 3 shallots or a bunch of garlic chives, roughly chopped
- 250 grams vegetables (e.g. handful of chinese cabbage, 4 mushrooms, 1 small carrot), roughly chopped
- 1 centimetre ginger, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine (shao xing)
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 250 g gow gee wrappers, defrosted
- Chinkiang (black) vinegar or soy sauce, to serve
Place garlic and ginger into mixing bowl and chop 3 seconds, speed 7.
Add the sesame oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce, chinese cooking wine and potato starch and mix on reverse for 5 seconds, speed 1. Remove from mixing bowl and set aside. Rinse mixing bowl.
Grease the varoma trays with oil. Place about a teaspoon of dumpling mixture into the centre of a gow gee wrapper, wrap and and place into prepared varoma trays. Be careful not to put too much filling in each wrapper and ensure the edges are completely sealed. The dumplings will expand slightly when they cook so when they are in the varoma trays, ensure they are not touching to avoid them from sticking together.
There are lots of great youtube videos that demonstrate a variety of wrapping techniques. Another option is to use a dumpling press.
To prepare the filling
To steam the dumplings
Potato startch can be replaced with cornflour, but you will need to double the amount of cornflour.
- Replace some of the vegetables (except shallots or garlic chives) with roughly chopped firm tofu.
- Replace the vegetables (except shallots or garlic chives) with minced pork or minced chicken thighs.
Instead of steaming, dumplings can be pan fried and steamed in the pan. To do this heat some rice bran oil in a frying pan to medium heat. Add the dumlings and pan fry on one side. Once golden brown, turn the dumplings over and add enough water to the pan to just cover the base, then cover with a lid and steam until cooked (all the water should be evapourated by this time).
Put uncooked portions of dumplings in small freezer bags and use when you like.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Roasted Pumpkin and Onion Ravioli
- Sicilian Eggplant Bolognese
- Chick Pea Tofu
- Veg Nachos Recipe
- Vegetarian Chickpea and Mushroom Burgers
- Chickpea stuffed zucchini
- Spicy Vegetable Chapati Wraps
- Vegetable Chow Mein
- Sweet potato and chickpea kofta curry lime dressing
- Vegetarian Lasagne (Gluten free Dairy free option)
- Cauliflower, Paneer and Pea Curry:
- Almond Sushi “Rice”
- Rich Tomato Soup
- Tomato Sauce
- Pasta Sauce
- Mustard sauce
- Xanthe’s Butter Chicken
- Avocado Lime Salad Dressings
- Chilli Almond Dressing:
- Perfect Chai Latte Mix by Thermosmitten
- Cheesy Garlic Pizza Sticks
- Hidden veggies pizza sauce
- Satay dressing (or dipping sauce)
- Creamy chicken, bacon, mushroom & veggie pie filling