- 1 Large smoked hock bone, (Approx 1 kg)
- 1 Large potato, peeled, (Approx 350g)
- 4 onions, peeled, (Approx 750g)
- 4 carrots, (Approx 500g)
- 1 swede, thickly peeled, (Approx 250g)
- 1 Parsnip, peeled, (Approx 60g)
- 4 celery stalks, (Approx 250g)
- 1 butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, (Approx 800g)
- 2 packets dried green peas
- 1/2 cup risoni noodles
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 250 g Bacon, diced
4h 0minPreparation 4h 0minBaking/Cooking
Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
Place hock bone into very large soup pot (Approx 8 litre capacity) and cover with water. Put onto stove, cover, and bring to the boil. Boil for 1 1/2 hours.
While this is cooking, prepare the vegetables.
Quarter the potato and place in TM bowl and chop 5 sec / sp 5 . Tip chopped potato into a large bowl.
Quarter the onion and chop in TM bowl 10 sec / sp 5. Place in bowl with potato.
Cut carrots into chunks and chop in TM bowl 5 sec / sp 5. Tip into other chopped vegetables.
Cut swede, parsnip, and celery into chunks and chop in TM bowl 5 sec / sp 5. Tip into other chopped vegetables.
Cut pumpkin into chunks and chop in TM bowl 15 sec / sp 5.Reserve with other chopped vegetables.
Rinse TM bowl but this water can be added to the soup when the vegetables go in.
Once the hock bone has cooked for 1 1/2 hours, remove bone and meat and place onto a plate to cool.
Meanwhile, add the dried green peas, risoni noodles, pearl barley and salt to the soup and once it has come to the boil, cook for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
Once hock bone is cool enough to handle, break meat off the bone and cut into bite-sized pieces.
Add reserved chopped vegetables, diced bacon, and the hock bone meat into the soup, adding extra water to make it a "soupy" consistency, and bring to boil, then cook for a further hour.
Enjoy with a crusty bread, or bread of your choice!!
Accessories you need
If you want to make this gluten free, replace the risoni and pearl barley with one cup of uncooked brown rice.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Super Simple Veggie Soup
- Trahana Tomato Soup
- Keto Friendly Seafood Chowder
- Cauliflower soup with coconut milk
- Curried Pumpkin Soup
- Roast carrot and cumin soup
- Corn, Bacon and Potato Chowder
- Pumpkin Carrot and Ginger soup
- Spice Pumpkin Soup
- BB's Chicken & Corn Soup
- Butternut Pumpkin Soup - onion free
- Pastie Slice
- Latvian Bacon Buns - Pīrāgi
- Nut Bar
- Lasagne with Spinach and Ricotta
- Hotteok - (Korean dessert)
- Chicken and Yoghurt Curry (Dahi Murgh)
- Mum's Homemade Tomato Sauce
- Salmon and Spinach Quiche with Pea Pesto
- Lebanese Easter Biscuits (Ma'amoul Biscuits)
- Passionfruit Slice (Gluten-Free)
- Lemon Curd Slice (Gluten-Free)
- Pearl Barley with Spinach & Pork Mince
- Sticky Date Slice
- Veggie Fritters
- Choc-chip zucchini banana cake
- Sri Lanken Cashew and Coconut Curry Paste (clone of Passage to India)
- Thermomix Play Dough
- Avocado Lime sauce (for fish Taco)
- Pickled Beetroot
- All Green Stock Powder
- Super Easy Waffles
- Recco Classico
- Sue's Secret Seedy Sheet Crackers
- Super Simple Veggie Soup