- 90 grams egg whites, (approx 3) at room temperature
- 90 grams caster sugar
- 60 grams unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 60 grams water
- 100 grams plain flour
- 1 pinch of fine salt
2h 6minPreparation 2h 0minBaking/Cooking
Recipe is created for
TM 5Please note that the TM5 mixing bowl has a larger capacity than the TM31 (capacity of 2.2 liters instead of 2.0 liters for TM 31). Recipes for the Thermomix TM5 may not be cooked with a Thermomix TM31 for safety reasons without adjusting the quantities. Risk of scalding by spraying of hot liquids: Do not exceed the maximum filling quantity and observe the filling level markings of the mixing bowl!
1. First, make your fortunes. Print and cut out my templates or cut 40 small rectangles of paper (1 x 6 cm). Write individual fortunes on each piece. Set aside until ready to fold cookies.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays (30 x 40 cm) with silicone mats and set aside. Have an empty muffin tray ready too.
3. Insert butterfly whisk. Place egg whites and sugar into mixing bowl and mix 30 sec/speed 3.
4. Add melted butter, almond essence, vanilla essence and water and mix 30 sec/speed 3.
5. Add flour and salt and mix 20 sec/speed 2. Remove butterfly whisk.
6. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and lightly fold in any remaining flour until just combined. Transfer mixture into a bowl.
7. Spoon a dessert-spoonful of batter onto the first tray and use the back of the spoon to spread it into a circle (approx. 10 cm diameter). Repeat to make two more cookies, leaving a 2 cm gap between each cookie, and making 3 circles per tray.
8. Bake for 6-8 minutes (180°C), until the very edge of the cookie just starts to turn golden. While the first tray is baking, prepare the second tray with 3 circles of batter.
9. Remove tray from oven and move quickly to shape the cookies before they set. Using a palette knife or similar, gently pick the cookie off the tray and turn it upside down onto a clean surface. Place a fortune paper in the middle and fold the cookie in half. Pick up the semi-circle, place the straight edge over the lip of a cup and gently bend down both sides to form a crescent. Place fortune cookie into muffin tray so it holds its shape as it cools. Repeat with the other cookies.
10. Continue with the remaining batter, preparing each tray while the other is cooking, and folding quickly before cookies set, then placing them in muffin trays.
11. If cooled cookies are not hard, crisp and golden, transfer them to flat baking trays. Turn oven off. Leave oven door open for 1 minute to cool down a little, then place formed cookies into cooling oven, close door, and leave until cold. This will make them hard, crisp and golden.
12. Eat straight away or allow cookies to cool completely before storing in a sealable container. They will soften unless completely hard and dry before storage (see step 11).
Woohoo, this is the first video of a recipe that features in my cookbook Entertaining with Dani Valent.
Making fortune cookies is a bit tricky, so it’s best tackled with friends in a spirit of fun. See my Chinese entertaining hub for printable fortunes, styling tips, handicrafts to make and a music playlist to enjoy while you cook and eat
I’ve got printable fortunes & my video here. https://danivalent.com/cook/entertaining/chinese/
Folding the cookies before they harden is much easier on a warm day – they harden fast in a cold kitchen. It’s a good idea to practice this recipe before making it for a special occasion.
If you’re finding it hard to fold your fortune cookies before they harden, make just 2 at a time and bake them a little less before removing from oven.
Baking paper can be used instead of a silicone mat but it’s harder to work with.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Inside-out chicken parmigiana - Dani Valent
- Chicken Tart
- Emergency Lentil Soup
- Basque Cheesecake
- Bloody Caesar and Clam Salad
- Passata - Dani Valent
- Red capsicum pithivier with parmesan pastry
- Double Trouble Fennel and Tomato Chutney
- Semi-dried Tomato Grissini
- Chilli Tomato Sorbet
- Chilli Cherry Ripe