- 160 g Fresh pitted dates
- 160 g dried figs
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 95 g water
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 160 g Self Raising Flour
- 130 g brown sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 4 large eggs
- 440 g caster sugar
- 220 g water
- flaked almonds, to taste
8Recipe is created for
Preheat oven to 160ºC. Prepare bundt tin by buttering well, set aside.
Place dates, figs, bicarb and water into TM bowl and cook for 5 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 2.
Add butter and combine to melt for 30 seconds on speed 3.
Add all remaining cake ingredients and mix for 20 seconds on speed 6. Scrape down and repeat.
Spoon into prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until springy to the touch. Remove and cool in tin. Turn onto wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with almonds before carefully spooning toffee over.
To make toffee crust, place sugar and water into saucepan and heat on a low heat without stirring until sugar crystals are dissolved. Increase heat and bring to the boil. Cook until toffee reaches hard crack stage (150ºC if using candy thermometer).
If you have additional toffee, pour over some more nuts on a metal tray. Break up into toffee bark shards for garnish.
Other users also liked...
- Murgh makhani (Butter chicken)
- Fragrant pipis
- Classic lemon tart
- Citrus mascarpoen semifreddo with Manjimup walnut and cacao nib dukkah - Chef Russell Blaikie
- Grain free cauliflower samosas - Fiona Hoskin
- Torta caprese (flourless almond cake)
- Fermented cucumbers
- Pale ale jelly and white chocolate mousse - Matthew Morrissey
- Thai style yellow curry - Matthew Morrissey
- Gut-nourishing choc-berry jellies - Kyra Miles
- Grain-free herb and sesame bread - Kyra Miles
- Date and cardamom tart - Fouad Kassab