- 370 grams Milk, (or 1 and 1/2 cups)
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar or lemon juice
- 350 grams wholemeal plain flour
- 150 grams Wholemeal Self Raising Flour
- 70 grams wheatgerm
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 teaspoons Gluten flour, Gluten flour is available from health food shops. it add protein to the flour to make it more stable for bread making.
- 30 grams Butter softened
- milk for brushing
- sesame seeds to sprinkle
Preheat overn to moderately hot 190 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper or lightly grease and cover with flour. set aside.
SOUR MILK. Create sour milk for the recipe. In a seperate cup add 1 & 1/2 cups of milk and 4 teaspoons of lemon or vinegar. Set aside.
In TM add butter and all dry ingredients. Mix 10 sec/ speed 6.
add Sour Milk and mix 6 sec/speed 6.
Lock lid and on knead 1 & 1/2 minutes.
Turn out onto thermomat or floured board and shape into a rustic oval loaf. It should be about 5 cm thick.
Brush top of loaf with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Bake for 35-45 minutes. it should have risen slightly and be golden brown in colour.
Accessories you need
This bread is very thick and dense so not suitable for sandwiches. I enjoy it spread with butter and Malt or even golden syrup or lemon butter. It is lovely Toasted.
This is a very special recipe for me. My Pa made 2 loaves of this bread every week and I remember helping him and eating it with a big spread of malt extract everyday when I would visit for Holidays. He sadly passed when I was still very young and my grandmother continued on making his bread every week until she couldn't anymore. Pa passed onto me his love of cooking and his beautiful hand written recipe for this bread is something I treasure.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Cauliflower & Chicken Salad
- Light rye bread
- No Bake Fudge Brownie - Paleo, GF, Sugar Free, Grain Free
- Variation TM6 Thick and Creamy Pot Set Yoghurt
- Cucumber Yoghurt (kheyar b laban)
- Coconut rice my way ( with a little help from the TM5)
- Jumbo Spiced Pumpkin Bread
- Fluffy American Pancakes
- Beef and Guinness Stew
- Jam donut muffins AKA "Duffins"
- Cookie Jar Biscuits
- Peppermint Black Bean Brownies