- 500 grams Lambs Kidneys
- 3 - 5 spring onions
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 40 grams Butter
- 125 grams Milk
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Nutmeg, to taste - (preferably freshly grated)
- flat leaf parsley, chopped, (optional)
1) Slice kidneys in half. Discard white calyx and dice kidney into approx 2 cm pieces.
2) Trim spring onions, discarding about 1/3 of the green tops. Cut white portions into several pieces and put aside. Slice the green portion into rounds and set aside separately.
3) Put peppercorns and fennel into TM bowl and process for 30 seconds, speed 10. (They will only be coarsley ground)
4) Add spring onion pieces and chop 5 seconds, speed 6. Scrape down sides of bowl.
5) Add butter and sauté for 4 minutes, Varoma temperature, speed soft, MC OFF.
6) Add diced kidneys and cook 4 minutes, Varoma temperature, Reverse + speed soft, MC ON
7) Add milk and cook 36 minutes, 90 C, Reverse + speed soft.
Add sliced green tops of spring onions and salt and cook 5 minutes, 90 C, Reverse + speed soft.
9) Mix the cornflour with the water in a cup. Set TM for 2 minutes, 100 C, Reverse + speed 2. Remove the MC and slowly add the cornflour mixture to thicken the kidneys.
10) At the end of the cooking period, remove the lid from the bowl and grate some nutmeg over the dish and stir through. Alternatively, grate over individual serves. Garnish with some chopped parsley (optional).
The cooked kidneys are perfect served on toast for breakfast - or any time! Also nice served with mashed potatoes and "greens". This is a perfect filling for vol au vents.
Breakfast lambs' kidneys
The recipe may be doubled. Adjust cooking times accordingly.
This is my variation of a traditional family recipe. The original recipe from the pioneering Forrest family from Dwalganup (Dworl-gan-up) near Boyup Brook in WA used half a brown onion and grated nutmeg. Give the recipe a go - you'll be surprised at the robust and satisfying flavour!
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Ayam Masak Merah
- Butter Chicken Risotto
- My dad Bill's curried chicken
- Easy Spaghetti Bolognese
- Honey Soy Chicken Roll
- Minced meat skewers with prune
- Kel's edited version of sweet n sour pork meatballs
- Festive Baked Chicken Thighs
- Deb's Chicken bacon and spinach risotto
- Debs Caesar salad
- Pork and Fennel Meatballs with Creamy Mushrooms, Sage and Beans
- Honey Chicken - Chinese take away style
- Festive Baked Chicken Thighs
- Rum and Raisin Ice Cream
- Varoma Rhubarb
- Coffee Yoghurt: TM+EasiYo
- Corned Silverside - Pastrami-Style
- Thick & Easy Milkshake
- Pot Set Yoghurt - the easi way!
- Varoma Bacon, Eggs and Tomatoes with Fresh Tomato Sauce
- Amazing Cauliflower Rice
- Old Fashioned Milkshake
- Lime Coconut Mayonnaise
- Kue Putri Salju
- Iced Coffee Syrup
- Sweet Potato and Red Kidney Bean stew with peanuts.
- Easy Creamy Vanilla Yoghurt
- Rissotto con Camarones y leche de coco
- Bunya Nut Fritters
- Elderberry Syrup
- Quick Pizza Scrolls
- Easy Brocoli Pasta
- KFC style coating
- Bean salad
- THERMOMUMMA PIZZA DOUGH (WITH SOURDOUGH OPTION)