- 25 g unsalted butter
- 20 ml olive oil
- 400 g cooked or canned chick peas
- 2 Red onions, peeled
- Bunch of coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp coriander roots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli, deseeded
- 2.5 cm piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp roasted Spice Mix (see below)
- 1 tbsp tamarind water (see below)
- 400 g chopped carrots
- 2 x 400 g tinned tomatoes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 100 ml tamari
- Juice of 2-3 Limes
- Roasted Spice Mix
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks, halved
- 50 g coriander seeds
- 50 g cumin seeds
- 50 g fennel seeds
- 50 g Mustard seeds
- 50 g Fenugreek seeds
- 5 cardamom pods
- 2-3 star anise, .
8Recipe is created for
Place fresh coriander leaves in the TM and pulverise for 10 seconds on Speed 9. Set aside.
Place onion, coriander root, garlic, red chillie and ginger into TM bowl and chop for 2-3 seconds on speed 6-7.
Add oil and butter and sauté for 2 minutes at 100º on speed 1 with the MC off.
Add roasted spice mix to the TM and sauté for 1 minute at 100º on speed 4.
Add carrots, tomatoes and cinnamon and tamarind water and cook for 35 minutes at 100º on reverse + speed soft.
Add chick peas, maple syrup and tamari and cook for a further 5 minutes at 90º on reverse + soft speed. Squeeze lime juice through the lid.
Roasted Spice Mix
Add the spices to the TM and dry roast for 8 minutes at 100ºC on speed 2. Allow to cool. Grind the seeds on speed 10 until fine. Store in a glass jar in the fridge.
Recipe contributed by Margaret Carey (with acknowledgement to Skye Gyngell)
Tamarind lends a distinctive sour taste, helping to
balance out the sweet, salty and hot flavours. I buy a whole slab from
the Asian specialty store, keep it in a sealed container in the fridge
and break off a little piece as I need.
To Use: the piece of tamarind is soaked in
hot water for 20 mins. the water takes on the Tamarind flavour and it
is this that you use once it has been strained. Press the tamarind paste
thru a strainer to extract as much flavour as possible
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Mujaddara - Lentils and Rice
- Vegan Creamy Mushroom and Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Chicken Loaf style seitan (vegan meat)
- Pulled pork style seitan (vegan meat)
- Vegetable Bake
- Shredded chicken style seitan (vegan meat)
- Beetroot Burgers
- Sausage Crumble Style Seitan (Vegan Meat)
- Vegetarian Lasagne
- Cauliflower mango coconut curry
- South Indian Cauliflower Curry
- Pierogi with saurkraut and mushroom filling