- 1 slice bread, white/GF/spelt
- 1/2 cup milk, any type
- 1/2 brown onion, cut in half
- 20 g oil
- 500 g Beef mince
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp stock paste, veg/chicken/beef
- 2 tsp sugar, any granulated
- 2 tsp vinegar, I use Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- 40 g Mrs Ball's Chutney
- 50 g sultanas
- 3-4 dried bay leaves
- 1 egg
- leftover milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place bread & milk in flatish bowl to soak.
- Chop onion for 3-5s on speed 5.
- Add mince, curry powder & turmeric and cook for 4 min, 100°, , speed 1.
- Add stock, sugar, vinegar, salt & pepper, bread (squeeze milk out and keep for topping), chutney & sultanas and mix for 10s, speed 4.
- Pour and level mixture into (roughly) 20cm x 20cm Pyrex/casserole dish. Bury bay leaves evenly spaced vertically into mixture.
- Bake for 25 min, then scrape top lightly with a fork to loosen.
- Beat the egg lightly with the leftover milk from soaking the bread. I just do this with a fork, but if you want to use the Thermie, do it for 10s, speed 6.
- Pour topping evenly over pre-cooked meat.
- Bake for a further 15-20 mins or until topping is set and golden.
Accessories you need
This is my mum's recipe from when she was at school. I converted it to use the Thermie for prep as it makes the process so much faster and easier. It is a traditional South African, slightly sweet, baked curry mince best served with turmeric & sultana rice and a nice fresh salad.
I believe Mrs Ball's chutney gives it the authentic South African bobotie taste, but feel free to experiment with another chutney if you can't find it in the pickles aisle at Coles or Woolies (or certain IGA's).
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Chicken and veggie potato bake
- Beef fajitas
- Pasta-less Lasagne
- Chicken and Yoghurt Curry (Dahi Murgh)
- Poached Chicken in Lemongrass Broth
- Lemon and Garlic Yoghurt Chicken
- Orange sesame chicken with broccoli and noodles
- Easy Cheats Chicken and Vegetable Pie Filling
- Shepherd’s Pie (Low Carb)
- Japanese Katsu chicken curry
- Coconut and cashew chicken