- 1 whole uncooked chicken (1.2-1.4kg)
- 1 lemon, peeled (reserve zest, no white pith)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (approx 10 cm each), leaves only
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves only
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tbsp sea salt, plus extra to taste
- 120 g leek white part only, cut into quarters
- 2 garlic cloves
- 30 g olive oil
- 700 g butternut pumpkin, deseeded, peeled and cut into pieces (5 cm)
- 950 g water
- 230 g small potatoes (approx. 5), skins on, cut into eigths
- 170 g carrots (approx. 2), cut into pieces (2-3 cm)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g eschalots (approx. 8), cut into halves
- 50 g unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (approx. 10 cm each), leaves only
- 120 g red wine
- 1-2 tsp Chicken stock paste (see Tips)
- 250 g water
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, to taste
- 100 g broccoli, cut into large florets
- 20 fresh green beans, trimmed
1. Place whole chicken into Varoma dish and fill chicken cavity with whole peeled lemon, garlic and rosemary. Set Varoma with chicken aside.
2. Place reserved lemon zest and parsley into mixing bowl and chop 20 sec/speed 9. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
3. Add paprika and salt and mill 10 sec/speed 9. Rub mixture over chicken skin and set Varoma aside.
4. Without rinsing mixing bowl, place leek and garlic into mixing bowl and chop 3 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
5. Add oil and sauté 3 min/Varoma/speed 1.
6. Add pumpkin and water to mixing bowl. Place Varoma with chicken into position and steam 55 min/Varoma/speed 1.
7. Weigh potatoes and carrots into Varoma dish, arranging them around the whole chicken. Secure Varoma lid, then steam 15 min/Varoma/speed 1. Check chicken is cooked. If not, prolong cooking time as necessary. You may want to set vegetables aside before proceeding. Once chicken is cooked, remove Varoma and transfer chicken, potatoes and carrots into a thermal serving bowl (ThermoServer) or other large bowl and cover to keep warm.
8. Insert measuring cup, then blend 30 sec/speed 5-9, increasing speed gradually from speed 5 to speed 9. Transfer pumpkin soup into a separate thermal serving bowl (ThermoServer) or large bowl and cover to keep warm. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
9. Place oil, eschalots and butter into mixing bowl and sauté 7 min/Varoma/speed 1, placing simmering basket instead of measuring cup onto mixing bowl lid.
10. Add rosemary, wine, stock paste and water and cook 8 min/Varoma/speed 1, placing simmering basket instead of measuring cup onto mixing bowl lid.
11. Add cornflour and pepper to mixing bowl. Place Varoma dish into position and weigh broccoli and green beans into it. Secure Varoma lid, then steam 8 min/Varoma/speed 1.
12. Set Varoma aside and transfer broccoli and green beans into the thermal serving bowl (ThermoServer) or large bowl with the chicken and cover to keep warm, then strain gravy through simmering basket into a serving jug. Discard solids.
13. Serve soup for entrée, followed by chicken, vegetables and gravy.
This recipe is suitable for both TM31 and TM5 customers
Please refer to The Basic Cookbook or the Everyday Cookbook for the Chicken stock paste recipe.
Depending on the size of the chicken, you may have to adjust cooking times accordingly.
Change the vegetables in this recipe to suit your tastes and adjust cooking times for softer or firmer vegetables, depending on your preferrences.
Other users also liked...
- Claypot Mushroom Chicken Rice
- pull pork stew
- Sesame Oil Whole Chicken - roast using Thermomix!
- alittliebityummy.com Low FODMAP Spaghetti Bolognese
- Minted Lamb Burgers
- Chicken Satay with peanut sauce
- Hunker Begendi
- Stuffed Capsicums with Tomato, Mince & Rice
- Beef Roghan Josh Curry (GF)
- Maple Beef
- Double cooked Pork Ribs
- Lemon, garlic and chicken rissoto
- Parmesan cheese crisps
- Tostadas - Jo Whitton
- Spiced pear jam and chorizo
- Barbecued pork ribs
- Satay noodle salad
- Taco seasoning
- Chocolate fondant cake
- Cheat's sourdough
- Spicy beef noodle soup (TM6 only)- Chef Mark Southon
- Sous vide fillet of beef with mushroom custard (TM6 only) - Chef Mark Southon
- Mashed potatoes
- Chiang mai noodles