- 30 g olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled & halved
- 1/2-1 chilli, stemmed and deseeded, to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika, smoked or sweet
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 30 g tomato paste
- 10 g honey
- 1 teaspoon red wine or cider vingar
- 20 g salad greens of choice such as kale, spinach, coarsley chopped
- 115 g feta cheese, cut into generous bite-sized cubes
- 4 - 6 eggs
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled (whole)
- 1/2 portions red capsicum
Recipe is created for
TM 5If you are using a Thermomix® TM6 measuring cup with your Thermomix® TM5:
For cooking (simmering) at temperatures of 95°C or above (200°F), the simmering basket should always be used instead of the TM6 measuring cup, as the TM6 measuring cup fits tightly in the lid. The simmering basket rests loosely on top, is steam-permeable, and also prevents food spatter from the mixing bowl.
Recipe is created for
- Place spices into TM bowl and grind on speed 10 for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic and chop on speed 8 for 3 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add onion and chop on speed 5 for 3 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add olive oil and cook on 100° deg for 5 minutes on speed 1
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, honey, and vinegar, and cook for 15 minutes on 100° deg speed 1, or until the sauce has thickened somewhat but is still loose enough so that when you shake the bowl it sloshes around.
- Stir in the chopped greens and capsicum and cook on reverse and speed 1 for 3 minutes.
- If you want to finish the Shakshuka on the stovetop, place your your tomato sauce in a large frying pan and press the cubes of feta into the tomato sauce. With the back of a spoon, make 6 indentations in the sauce. Crack an egg into each indentation, then drag a spatula gently through the egg whites so it mingles a bit with the tomato sauce, being careful not to disturb the yolks.
Turn the heat on the sauce to a gentle simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes, taking some of the tomato sauce and basting the egg whites from time-to-time. Cover, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- To finish them individually, preheat the oven to 375ºF (180ºC.) Divide the sauce into 6 baking dishes and press the feta cubes into the sauce. Set the baking dishes on a baking sheet, make an indentation in each, and crack and egg into the center. Bake until the eggs are cooked to your liking, basting the whites with some of the sauce midway during baking, which will take anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes – but begin checking them sooner to get them just right. If the yolks begin to get a little firm on top before the whites are cooked, drape a sheet of foil over them, but avoid having it touch the yolks.
Accessories you need
Serve with crusty bread and crispy bacon.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or The Mix Australia Pty Ltd and The Mix New Zealand Ltd.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and The Mix Australia Pty Ltd and The Mix New Zealand Ltd assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Cheesy pasta
- Greek Pie
- Layered Steamed Vegetables
- Sauteed Siamese Gourd by @levi_nathania
- Coconut and Lemon Grass Curry Bowl
- Gado Gado
- Porotos Granados
- Baked Ricotta and Pea Curry
- Self Crusting Quiche
- Indonesian Clear Spinach Soup @levi_nathania
- Stir Fried Meatballs with Chinese Cabbage by Levi
- Shimeji Tofu modified by Levi
- Chocolate Rum and Raisin Icecream
- Julie's Tomato Chutney
- Devilled Meatloaf
- Lisa’s Butterscotch Scones
- Soft Potato Doughnuts @levi_nathania
- Marian's Version of Cut out Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- THERMOMUMMA HERB & GARLIC BREAD
- Vanilla Baked Doughnuts (GF/DF)
- Chicken Marinade - Honey Soy Ginger
- Chinese Honey Chicken