THERMOMIX ® RECIPE
- 200 g mixed dried fruit, (e.g. cranberries, sultanas)
- 100 g nuts (e.g. walnuts, pecans, pistachios)
- 150 g water
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 4 allspice berries
- 500 g Baker's Flour
- 10 g dried instant yeast
- 50 g honey
- 3 eggs
- 40 g unsalted butter, softened
- 150 g full cream milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 15 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 120 g Glacé ginger
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 150 g unsalted butter, cut into cubes (2cm)
- Place dried fruit into mixing bowl and chop 4 sec/speed 6. Transfer into a bowl and set aside.
- Place nuts into mixing bowl and chop 2 sec/speed 5. Transfer into bowl with dried fruit and set aside.
- Place water, saffron, bay leaf and allspice berries into mixing bowl and cook 6 min/Varoma/speed 1. Transfer into a small bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain, using a fine-mesh sieve, into a jug, then discard solids and set infused water aside. Rinse and dry mixing bowl.
- Place flour and yeast into mixing bowl and mix 10 sec/speed 4.
- Add honey, 2 of the eggs, butter, milk and salt and knead 2 min/, slowly adding infused water through hole in mixing bowl lid until combined.
- Add sage, cinnamon and reserved dried fruit and nuts and knead 1 min/. Transfer onto a silicone bread mat (ThermoMat) or a lightly floured work surface and shape into a ball. Wrap dough in bread mat (ThermoMat) or place into an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Leave to prove until doubled in size (approx. 2 hours). Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Line a large baking tray (30 x 40 cm) with baking paper and set aside.
- Transfer dough onto a lightly floured work surface and divide into 12 equal portions. Form into small balls and arrange on prepared baking tray in a Christmas tree shape. Whisk remaining egg in a small bowl and brush each ball with egg. Bake for 30-35 minutes (170C), rotating tray if necessary after 20 minutes to ensure even baking, until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Place glacé ginger into mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 5. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add ground ginger and butter and blend 10 sec/speed 4. Serve with Celebration bread or transfer into a sealable container and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Saffron and sage bread
You can replace allspice berries with whole cloves.
You can replace honey with treacle.
In step 8, dough can be plaited and arranged in a wreath shape.
Bread can be eaten immediately or within 24 hours. It can be refreshed in a low oven (120C) 10 minutes if baked ahead of time.
Find this recipe in Dani Valent's Christmas Menu chapter of Entertaining with Dani Valent cookbook and recipe chip. These are available to purchase at The Mix Shop www.thermomix.com.au/shop
Other users also liked...
- Strawberry and watermelon cake with vanilla cream (recipe by Nico Moretti)
- Quick fruit sponge
- Fresh tomato tart
- Pretty in pink - ruby chocolate dessert
- Classic chocolate fudge
- Mango, coconut and lychee icy poles
- Frozen breakfast yoghurt pops
- Chocolate salted caramel petit fours
- Mint lemonade
- Gingerbread house (gluten-free)
- Baked pumpkin doughnuts with snowman icing
- Gougère puffs with salmon mousse
- Chicken & Vegetable Pie
- Middle Eastern BBQ'd Pumpkin Bread
- Savoury Biscotti
- Alkalising GF/DF/EF/YF bread
- Raw Choc Covered Christmas Pudds
- Pecan and Maple Syrup slice
- Luxurious Oatmeal Milk Bath
- Shortcrust Pastry
- Ultimate Vegan Cleansing Salad
- Green Smoothie Muffins
- Quick fruit sponge
- Raw Tahini Dressing