- 200 g Milk
- 80 g fresh yeast
- 250 g sugar
- 750 g bakers flour, Can use up to 800g
- 5 pieces ground mastiha, optional
- 1 sachet ground mahlepi, or 1 tsp
- 4 eggs, large/extra large
- 150 g Butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- 50 g flaked almonds, for decoration (optional)
In a small bowl place 100g of milk (lukewarm), yeast, 1 tsp sugar, and 3 tsp flour.
Mix with a fork until yeast has dissolved then place in warm spot for 10 minutes until
you see bubbles forming. (Place in an oven on the lowest setting when weather is
Place sugar in bowl along with mastiha and mahlepi and mill for 1 minute on speed 10.
Add remaining ingredients except the flour and cook for 3 minutes at 37ºC on speed 6.
Add the yeast mixture and flour and mix for 5 seconds on speed 6.
Set dial to closed lid position and knead for 2-3 minutes until dough is formed.
Can add a small amount of extra flour if needed but dough needs to be slightly sticky.
Place in bread mat or bowl with glad wrap and put in warm place until dough has doubled in size.
Form dough into plaits (makes about 10, depending on size wanted) and baste with egg.
Can add flaked almonds on top at this point if you like. Allow to rise for
10 minutes or longer for better rise then place in a cold oven, turn to 180ºC for approx. 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Home made Baileys
- Spanakopita (Greek Spinach pie)
- Greek Cabbage Salad
- Thia Lili's Koulourakia (Greek Easter Biscuits)
- Goji and Coconut Raw Chocolate
- Tacos basic
- Avocado hommus
- Semolina Custard
- Keftethes (Greek Meatballs)
- Greek Easter Chocolate Souffle
- Galaktobouriko (Greek Vanilla Slice)
- Rizogalo (Greek Rice Pudding)