- 75 g cucumber
- 150 g Greek style yoghurt
- 10 g olive oil
- Pinch salt
- 200 g red lentils
- 350 g water
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 1 small onion
- 40 g peeled ginger root
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, peeled
- 1 mild fresh green chilli
- 1 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 50 g sunflower oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 1 400g tin tomatoes
- 2 tsp Fenugreek seeds, (optional)
- pinch asafoetida, (optional)
- 70 g unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- salt to taste
- parsley or extra fresh coriander to serve
Place cucumber in TM bowl and chop for 1-2 seconds on speed 5 or until finely chopped. Add yoghurt, olive oil and salt and mix for 1-2 seconds on + speed 3. Set aside.
Place lentils in a sieve and wash under plenty of running cold water. Weigh the 350g water into Thermoserver or bowl and soak lentils in the water for 30 minutes.
Cut the coriander bunch somewhere around the centre to get a leafy top half and a stalk and root half. Place leafy half in TM bowl and chop for 2 seconds on speed 6. Set aside.
Place mustard seeds in TM bowl and dry roast at Varoma temperature or for 6 minutes. Add coriander stalk ends, onion, ginger, garlic and chilli and chop for 2-3 seconds on speed 6. Ensure that the mixture is roughly chopped rather than a paste.
Add sunflower oil and sauté for about 5 minutes at 100˚C on + speed 2. Add ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika and curry leaves and sauté for a further 5 minutes at 100˚C on + speed 2.
Add the lentils and their soaking water, the tomatoes, sugar, fenugreek and asafoetida (if using) and salt to taste. Simmer for about 30 minutes at 100˚C on + speed 1, or until the lentils are fully cooked. If using whole tinned tomatoes, you may need to break them up with the spatula during cooking.
Place butter, lime juice and chopped coriander leaves in a Thermoserver or large bowl and pour lentil mixture over the top. Mix through with spatula and add salt to taste. Divide among serving bowls, spoon cucumber yoghurt on top and garnish with extra coriander leaves.
Spiced Red Lentils
The ingredients list for this recipe can seem a little daunting, but provided you maintain a well-stocked pantry with staples and spices you'll find that you just need to pick up a few fresh ingredients on the way home.
Original recipe from ‘Plenty’ by Yotam Ottolenghi. Adapted for Thermomix by Erica Noble.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Chicken Loaf style seitan (vegan meat)
- Pulled pork style seitan (vegan meat)
- Vegetable Bake
- Shredded chicken style seitan (vegan meat)
- Beetroot Burgers
- Sausage Crumble Style Seitan (Vegan Meat)
- Vegetarian Lasagne
- Cauliflower mango coconut curry
- South Indian Cauliflower Curry
- Pierogi with saurkraut and mushroom filling
- Low carb cauliflower cheese bake
- Sweet potato curry
- Quinoa cornbread (or muffins or slice)
- Healthy(ier) Monte Carlo Biscuits
- Lemon Curd and Blueberry Streusel Cake
- Rhubarb Ginger and Orange Sorbet
- Slow cooked lamb madras curry
- Roasted Green Chicken Curry
- Cheesy Pumpkin and Caraway Pan Scones
- Jude Blereau's World Peace Bars
- Baklava Muffins
- Vanilla Sugar Biscuits
- Shortbread Stars
- Boules de Neige (Snowballs)