- 225 g warm water
- 45 g instant full cream milk powder, or, replace water and powder with 250g warm full cream milk
- 1 tbsp instant dried yeast
- 2 tbsp Rapadura Sugar, + 2 tbsp extra for sweet buns
- 1 tsp salt
- 60 g soft butter
- 380 g White bread flour
- 2 tbsp mixed spice
- 1 cup of mixed fruit
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil
- 200 g raw icing sugar
- 100 g soft butter
- 1 tbsp Milk
- natural pink food colouring, optional
- Desiccated Coconut, optional
- 60 g Butter, melted
- 100 g rapadura or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 130 g raw icing sugar
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Place water, milk powder, yeast, sugar and salt into Thermomix bowl and mix on speed 2 for 10 seconds. Leave for one minute.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix on dough setting for 4 minutes.
3. Leave to rise in bowl until MC starts to pop out.
4. Add any remaining ingredients for the type of roll or bun you're making and shape as required on a lightly floured Thermomat. (dough is very soft)
5. Place in a 20cm square cake tin or baking dish (or place on a baking tray) and cover with a clean tea towel.
6. Leave to prove in a warm place until doubled in size. This can take 2 to 2 ½ hours in winter.
7. Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 200C oven.
1. Add with flour:
2 Tbsp mixed spice (I blend 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp mixed spice, ¼ tsp nutmeg and ¼ tsp ground cloves)
2. Once proven in bowl, add 1 cup mixed fruit and knead for a further 20 seconds or so to incorporate.
3. Cut into 9 even pieces and shape into a ball. To do this, cup hands around a piece of dough and continue pushing dough to the underside until the top is smooth and round.
4. Place into a 20cm square cake pan and allow to rise. When nearly ready to bake, heat oven to 200C and make piping mixture.
5. Mix together in a small bowl. Place into a small ziplock bag and cut a tiny piece from one corner. Pipe horizontal then vertical lines on the rolls to make the crosses.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until they are nicely golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Try to keep in one piece.
Glaze if desired.
1. Make the master recipe, adding the extra sugar and allow to rise. You can add 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp cinnamon, if desired.
2. Divide dough into 9 even pieces. Gently flatten pieces into a small rectangl and roll up to make a sausage shape.
3. Place into a medium sized oven dish or tray, so they have a little room between them, to prove.
4. Bake as per master recipe.
5. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Place icing ingredients into Thermomix. bowl.
7. Blend on speed 2, then increase to speed 4 and continue mixing until creamy.
8. Ice buns and then sprinkle with coconut.
1. Make master recipe, adding the extra sugar and allow to do first rise.
2. Shape dough into a rectangle on a silpat mat.
3. Brush dough with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar
4. Roll dough up from long end into a log. Cut into 9 pieces and place into small square baking dish.
5. Continue as per master recipe.
6. Mix icing ingredients together in a bowl. Leave scrolls for 10 minutes to cool a little, then pour over.
Hot Cross Buns
Accessories you need
This recipe is very versatile as you can see. It makes a very soft, luscious roll or bun. I would not swap out the white flour for wholemeal or spelt as it may not be as soft and light as white flour.
Make sure you use bakers flour and not plain flour.
This recipe was provided to you by a Thermomix ® customer and has not been tested by Vorwerk Thermomix ® or Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand.
Vorwerk Thermomix ® and Thermomix ® in Australia and New Zealand assume no liability, particularly in terms of ingredient quantities used and success of the recipes.
Please observe the safety instructions in the Thermomix ® instruction manual at all times.
Other users also liked...
- Gluten Free Yeast Free Egg Free Bread Rolls
- Wontons in Chilli Broth
- Black Bean Brownies - dairy and gluten free
- Clean Snickers Slice
- Fettuccini Boscaiola
- Bertha's "St. Patrick's" Gluten Free Zucchini Pancakes
- White Sauce for lasagna
- Thai Chilli Chicken and Basil
- Autumn Pear cake
- Spicy turmeric latte
- Golden syrup spice cookies
- Taro and sago